Sunday, May 18, 2008





Well, a much anticipated evening came and went much too quickly-but it was alot of fun and I won't forget it. Melinda got us tickets to go see Stephanie Meyer in person at Thanksgiving Point for The Host booksigning. Poor Melinda had to wait outside in the sun for hours before the door opened, while I battled traffic through Salt Lake. I got there a little after they opened the doors at 5:00pm and fortunately we got some great seats in the 3rd row. The most inconvenient part was I had to leave 3 perfectly delicious Wendy's salads outside and eat nasty nachos from their concession stand as an alternative. Well, a small sacrifice to pay for my Twighlight and Host loves. I giggled too much, talked too much, smiled way too much - I was a like a teeny-bopper at a New Kids On The Block concert Anyway, it was a fun experience. We talked alot about the books and the characters - until the ladies in front of us said they hadn't read The Host yet and could hear everything we were saying. Who goes to a booksigning without having read the book? Ok, so I've never been to a booksigning before, but I would have felt like a student going to an important lecture for an important class without having read the assigned reading - and then having to fake it during discussion time. Whatever.

Since we were in the 3rd row we got our books signed fairly quickly, within 40 minutes after she was done speaking. Hearing her speak was nice - she's just a normal person, like anyone else you've ever met, but of course very pleasant, obviously talented and it was nice to hear answers to fans' questions. The one I really wanted to know, which I considered asking her when I was on stage but thought better of it, is WHY did she choose Wanda as the name for Wanderer? Horrible. Well, she was very nice to sign the 6 books I plopped on the table, so I just told her thanks for coming and signing books for us, to which she replied "Well, thanks for coming" She sounded sincere, like she was surprised people showed up. Right. She's amazing and her books are fantastic. It was such a great time. Now, I can't wait until August 2nd for Breaking Dawn, and hopefully we'll get to read more about Wanderer and Ian in a couple years.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so jealous!! I just started The Host and I cant wait to get into it. I miss you guys, looks like you have been up to a lot! Come see us please!

Barbara said...

Are you serious?! I JUST finished reading the Host yesterday. I read it in 3 days. I had no idea you were into Stefanie Meyer. I cannot wait for Aug 2nd to come so I can get my next vampire fix. We need to talk more about this. I can't believe you got to meet her. I love it!